South Korea reported 167 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, the fourth day in a row there have been fewer than 200.
But the authorities are still on alert because cluster infections continue in the capital Seoul and the surrounding areas, and over 20 percent of the cases have an unknown route of infection.
Of the new local transmissions, 63 were reported in Seoul, 45 in Gyeonggi-do Province and nine in Incheon.

“The smaller number of cases seems to be an effect of the Level 2 social distancing in the capital area since August 16th, and nationwide distancing Level 2 since August 23rd.”

The total number of patients in critical condition has increased to 163, the highest number at any point in the local outbreak so far.
With the growing number of patients who are gravely ill, the metropolitan area is running out of intensive care units.
The KCDC said, as of Saturday, there were only four ICUs left in Seoul still available for immediate use, while none were available in Gyeonggi-do Province or Incheon.

The government on Sunday urged people not to travel during the upcoming Chuseok holiday, and said it will take extra quarantine measures during the holiday period.
In the meantime, South Korea has extended its enhanced ‘Level 2.5’ social distancing in the capital area for another week until September 13th.
In addition to franchise coffee shops, eating and drinking are banned inside franchise bakeries and ice cream shops.
Only virtual services are allowed at churches in the capital area and some other cities.
As for other regions, they should abide by Level 2 social distancing rules until September 20th.
Yoon Jung-min, Arirang News.

Reporter : yoonjm@arirang.com

arirang

Source Link

This page is made available thanks to China Press Release by Topic News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.